We all have learnt at school that in order to maintain physical processes, or body needs air and food and plants need light and water. Only light enables plants to produce energy needed for growth and reproduction. In the natural environment, this task is performed by our sun, while in case of artificial breeding, it can be handled only by professional LED Plant lights.
It might seem that this work can be done by any artificial source of light (incandescent lamp, mercury lamp, etc.), but it is not entirely true. According to the recent research, the efficiency of this lighting will not exceed 10-15%. So, what are the advantages of LED Plant lights compared with the other lighting fixtures?
This secret has been revealed after the thorough research on the photosynthesis process using different spectrum of light. As you all remember from the physics course, any light is regarded as the energy of an electromagnetic fluctuation with a certain wavelength. The usual artificial light source emits the entire visible spectrum of light, because, as we know, white light is a mixture of all shades of colors.
The strength of light, of this kind of lighting source, is about the same for the whole spectrum from ultraviolet radiation (10-400nm) to infrared radiation (over 760nm) In the other words, using fluorescent lighting fixture, we irradiate our plant in the entire range of visible and invisible light spectrum.
(Figure1: Level of photosynthesis, depending on the wavelength of light emission)
Detailed research on the influence of different light spectrum on the plant has proved that:
- rays with the wavelength less than 280nm kill plants
- rays with the wavelength from 280 to 315nm - are harmful for most of the plants
- rays with the wavelength from 315 to 400nm – make plants shorter and leaves thicker
- rays with the wavelength from 400 to 510nm – the first photosynthesis maximum
- rays with the wavelength 510-610nm - zone of weakening of photosynthesis
- rays with the wavelength from 610 to 700- zone of the maximum photosynthesis
- rays with the wavelength from 700 to 1000nm - poorly investigated
Thus, we can make a conclusion, that photosynthesis does not require the entire spectrum of light emission, and what is more, in some areas it is harmful for plants!
LED, has a narrow spectrum of light, which makes it perfect for producing auxiliary sources of artificial light. Our company produces LED Plant lights with 460nm wavelength (blue shade) and 620nm wavelength (red shade), as these spectrum areas most heavily affect the photosynthesis of plants. Accompanying by super-energy consuming, longer life time and ecological safety, that makes efficiency of LED lights increase up to 80-90%.
Range of application of LED Plant lights:
- Home floriculture – for photophilous plants in the places with little sunlight.
- Seedlings growing- as an additional source of light in the evening and at night time, as the seedling season (early spring) is characterized by very few sun hours. Using LED Plant lights will help to eliminate this problem, speed up the seedling process and make seedlings healthy and strong.
- Winter gardens – LED Plant lamps will allow your plants to be equally active in winter and in summer.
- Greenhouses- as an additional source of light in the evening and at night.
- Flower shops – places where sunlight is not enough
Anyway, people always want to create warm and comfortable atmosphere in their houses, and comfort is very often associated with plants, which will grow much faster if using modern technology..